This will ensure that all the collected funds are pooled and will allow for social solidarity so that high income earners and those who are wealthy can support the poor and vulnerable people such as the elderly and chronically sick. We will cover the details of the NHI in further bulletins and meetings.
NEHAWU is in COSATU for one strong workers' voice, to unite with workers from other progressive sections of our South African society. NEHAWU is the biggest Public Sector Union and the biggest in the Public Service Coordinating Bargaining Council, a negotiations structure for public service employees in South Africa.
NEHAWU is based on the following core principles:
- To recruit and unite workers into one single union in order to share their economic and social welfare;
- To protect the job security of members, to advance their
employment prospects, and to serve their individual and
- To foster unity, co-operation and comradeship amongst all
workers within the scope of the union and other industries;
- To establish relationships with other trade unions, trade union federations and labour organisations for the benefit of members of the union; and
- To build international working class solidarity and bi-lateral relations with trade unions internationally.